Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Day in the Life 9/22

I haven't done one of these in a while so…..

I woke up this morning early – at 6 am, today is a big day for Scott at work, so I got up with Leah last night, and I will take the kids to daycare. I have everyone dressed and ready by 10 til 7 and am loading the kids into the car, so far so good. We get to Patty's house at 7, and I am on my way to work by 7:12. Not bad.

The highlight of my work day: My one on one meeting with my boss where he explained to me that they are having an "employee recognition party" in a couple weeks and that if I wanted to be recognized for any of my projects I should create a slide to include in the presentation and send it in no later than Monday of next week.

To which I responded something like this…

Photobucket

I mean maybe I am totally missing something here, but isn't the point of recognition to be recognized by someone other than myself? The funniest part of this is that he actually told me that the primary reason for this recognition event is so that they can "prove" to all of us underlings that recognition is occurring in hopes of increasing our HR survey results in this area. Way to go, boss, well played.

While I merely survived my work day, Scott had a great day at work and was headed out to celebrate, so I made plans to dine with my parents.

It was horrible. I arrived there at 5:00 and my mom was still on her conference call. My grandma was there, but she had surgery yesterday and was unable to hold Leah. So, I volunteered my aunt Peggy for this roll. I tried to put on a movie, but the boys were not interested at all. Joey kept going into the TV Cabinet and running around with the DVD cases. Then Tyler crawled behind the TV and unplugged the Cable. My Mom could not figure out how to reset the TV. My Dad came home some time around this event and spent the next half hour working on the TV. The kids were so wild and misbehaved. I actually cried quietly a few times, but my held it together for my parents sake. Joey was hitting, throwing toys, having tantrums. Tyler was crying because he wanted a bottle, or was being beaten up, or having his toys taken from him. They were out of control. Leah was good for the most part. Finally, we ate dinner. My grandma left pretty much immediately, she was tired and probably couldn't take the noise and craziness. I left shortly after feeling completely embarrassed about the kids behavior and like the biggest failure of a parent ever.

Upon arriving home, I unload all the kids and let the dogs out. They promptly get sprayed by a skunk. The house stinks. I contemplate packing a bag and moving to my parents house. Permanently. I am exhausted, but at about 9 o'clock I remember that I have absolutely no clean work pants, so I run down to start a load of laundry. I force myself to stay awake for the hour it takes for the wash cycle to complete. At around 10 pm I drag my ass down to the basement only to find that I never actually hit the start button on the washer and still have no clean clothes. I am about to have a complete mental breakdown, but manage to hold myself together long enough to remember the steam clean function on my state of the art dryer. So…this is the moment I had been anticipating the day I stood at Sears and decided to purchase a $3000 clothes washing system. I grab my pants, throw them in and head off to bed. I am pretty sure there is no way I will survive 18 more years of this. It's just to damn hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment