Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scott's Birthday Celebration!

Thank god it's over. Back when Scott and I were young and without children, we used to do this thing called birthday week, which was just an excuse to turn ones birthday into a full week of fun. So, since last Sunday, Scott has been pulling the "it's my birthday week" card every chance he gets.

I had Scott's big birthday celebration planned for months. Back in March when Cubs tickets went on sale, I suggested to my parents that they get Scott tickets to a game for his birthday. So, they bought us two bleacher seats. Months go by and we don't even look at them. They sometime mid last week, my Mom calls all frantic, cause that's how she is, and I love her for it. Anyway, turns out the tickets are for Friday, not Saturday as I had thought. Well, we both had taken last Friday off for our garage sale, plus Hilary had already asked to leave early to pick up her new dog, so there was just no way that Friday was going to work for us.

We put the tickets out on Craigslist for face value, but only got one hit and they were offering less than half. Well somewhere during all this, my aunt Mary had gotten tickets to Friday's game and was coming to town for that and my parents were attending with her, so finally we end up sending the tickets down with them wear they unload them for $35 a piece. Sadly, the ticket originally cost about $65 a piece. Oh well, I guess, nothing we can do now.

So, Scott and I take our $70 and go down town on Saturday in hopes of finding tickets for around the same cost. We get down there about two hours early and the scalpers are asking for $80 a ticket – uh – no. We decide that if we can't get in for under $100 we will just go to a bar and watch the game.

As game time gets closer, ticket prices go down. $70 a ticket, $60 a ticket, and finally $40 a ticket, but as we were wandering the streets, Scott and I started talking about the roof tops and how I had never been up there and how great that would be. So, about 30 minutes prior to game time, we are standing outside one of the houses and this group of Cinci fans comes barreling in. I say – hey, you guys got any extras in your group?. The guy stops and say, actually yes. I offer $150 for two seats. And he takes it!! I should add here that the typical face value cost of a rooftop seat is between $150-$200, so this was quite a bargain.

Okay for perspective, in case you are unfamiliar with the roof top concept this is the deal:

Rooftops over look the field from the street as illustrated below:

Photobucket

Photobucket

So now you are thinking, WHAT? You paid more to sit outside of the stadium. Yes, and I will tell you I may never sit inside again. Here's why, Rooftops have free food, beer and wine. They also just generally rock. We had so much fun, more fun than I think we've ever had inside a game. We mostly hung out with each other and this guy who we met that we called Derek, but I think his name was Andy. Anyhow, here are some pictures of us celebrating Scott's big 3-6.

Here we are - all smiles:

Photobucket

This is me with Andy aka "Derek" and Adam - these are the guys we got tix from. They pretty much rocked:

Photobucket

View from our rooftop:

Photobucket

Rooftop Inside Bar - note the free pizza - this was a great touch

Photobucket

Okay - that's all I got. I just had the phone no camera, so sorry about poor photo quality, but it was so much fun.

Other news - I have my first appointment with Early Intervention tomorrow. They call this the intake meeting and have advised me that it will be filling out paperwork and hearing about the program, so no big deal.

Oh, and Scott got selected for a jury. Yep, he's been on jury duty all week. He isn't allowed to talk to me about, so I don't know any details, just that it's a criminal case and he will likely be there all week!

No comments:

Post a Comment