Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Operation Stain the Deck and Party with the In-laws

On Friday, Scott decided that it was time we stained our deck. Scott built this deck about a year and a half ago. So, it was something that was long overdue. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that we getting this done, but he couldn't have picked a worse weekend for it. See, on Sunday, Scott has invited over the inlaws and promised them an Italian extravaganza including chicken parmesan and lasagna. Somewhere, Scott was taught that you must serve two main dishes at every dinner party. So, Saturday, I will be cooking, Scott will be staining, and I don't know who will be watching the kids, but I guess we'll work that out as we go. Scott and his cousin started working at around 2 o'clock on Friday afternoon and quit around 7:30 pm, then they started up again around 10 am on Saturday and worked all day, I mean right up until about 7 pm. This was a HUGE job, but they got it done.

Before:


After:




We also had a visit from my mother in law, for my annual inspection and flower potting. And as always she did a gorgeous job, and as tempting as it was to post these pics and claim that I am a brilliant gardener, I will give credit where due. However, you can bet your ass that when my friends visit I will graciously thank them for their compliments when they fawn over how lovely my pots look. I'm evil like that.





So, while mother in law is planting, and Scott is staining, I am prepping for tomorrow nights feast. Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna and Chicken Parmesan. On the agenda for Saturday, coat and fry the chicken, and build the lasagna.

First I do the chicken this takes me about 40 minutes start to finish. The chicken is dipped in egg then the parmesan bread crumb mixture (2/3 parm to 1/3 bread crumbs), then fried and put in the baking dish. Tomorrow, I will put sauce and cheese on top and bake this up.



I move on to the lasagna. First, I blanch the noodles.. I layer them on foil and move on to the fresh herbs. I need parsley, basil, rosemary and thyme.



Mix this into the ricotta with some egg, sugar salt and pepper.



Sautee the mushrooms



Then layer. And voila Lasagna



This meal took me all together about 3-4 hours to prepare. I did the noodles and chicken during the day, the rest a I did after the kids went to bed.

Somewhere in between the cooking, I managed to clean the house for company and make a taco dinner for the boys who where outside working all day.

I was beat.

Sundays party was a huge success. The meal turned out great. It took me a couple days to recover, but I'm back!

1 comment:

  1. love your blog. I just gave you an award http://baby-to-go.blogspot.com/2010/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete