Friday, May 14, 2010

Something Happens Around Two Months

Something happens around two months when you have a new baby. Suddenly, one day you look at your baby and your love for that child has changed, it has morphed into something different, something bigger. You see, when your child is born, you know you love them, but you don't yet know why. You know that that is your baby, and it is your job to love and take care of them. And so you do. But somewhere around two months, you stop loving your child just because she is yours, and start loving her because she is her.

Today, I looked at Leah and she smiled at me. I got tears in my eyes. She has the most beautiful smile. And, today I realized that I don't just love Leah because she is mine to love, I love her because of the way she stares at her Daddy. I love the way that she always sleeps with her head tilted up and to the left. The way that she loves to look at bright lights. I love the way she stretches out with fists clenched in the air and her back arched. I love the tiny quiver in her cry when she is hungry. I love her sweet hesitant smile. Something happens around two months, and I tell you it is the most amazing feeling in the world.

1 comment: