Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wow, things have gotten really crazy. I had my intern start on Monday and having her around is just what I needed to get my butt in gear. It is my job this summer to introduce my little prodigy to the business world and all that goes with it. Things like working with the Help Desk, memorizing eighteen hundred different logons and passwords, the art of under promising and over delivery. I must enthusiastically explain every mundane task I do, and stress to her the "importance"of all of it. Not only that, but I must set a good example for her. So, my days of whoa is me, I cannot bear an 8 hr day on limited sleep are over. I must step up for the good of the future generation.

So, I got in just before 8 on Tuesday and got started. I immediately taught her the most important business lesson anyone could get. The art of graceful delegation – ie the pass off. I had been tasked with going through six different skills advancement training sessions with her. We managed to get through four on Monday, but I have work to do, so I am not up for doing these last two.

Here's the plan:

1. Find someone who knows the topic, rarely seems busy, and talks way too much
2. Boost said persons ego by raving about how knowledgeable they are on said topic
3. Suggest that perhaps this person is best suited to introduce topic to new intern

Win, intern is now sitting with happy, ego boosted person for at least one and a half hours learning way more than she will ever need to know about topic at hand. And my morning is freed up to actually get some work done. After that, my peer and co- intern manager will be introducing himself and keeping her busy for a few more hours. Then this afternoon, she's back to sitting in my cubicle with that vacant look begging me to give her something to do. She spends the afternoon watching me work. It's going to be a long summer.

On the way home, Scott and I discuss the lack of t-shirts we have for the boys. On Sunday, I would guess they went through easily 3 a piece. I have a gift card to The Children's Place so we are going to take the troops to the mall and pick up some shirts. I pick up the boys, swing by the house to get Scott and Leah and we're off. We decided to take on the stores with two strollers. The Baby in a single and the boys in the double. Leah LOVES this trip, she is so alert and staring at everything. A girl that loves the mall, there's a novel concept. I think we're in trouble. The boys on the other hand are not amused. They are good for a while but about 40 minutes in they are whining and Joey is taking off his shoes. But we managed to pick up seven t-shirts. We decided to get all 24 month and let Ty swim in them a bit. It's easier that way.

***DIET UPDATE***

Okay – I haven't been talking much about my diet, and part of that is because I veered off track a bit, but if you have been reading since the beginning, you know that my goal is two pounds a week. We started this diet on 4/26 and I had been doing great. Meeting and even exceeding my goals each week. Last week I was 2 lbs ahead of my goal weight, and decided to loosen up, well, today I am so disappointed, because I actually gained a pound last week so now I am 1 lb above my goal. So, I am back to being highly motivated. Unfortunately, the timing couldn't be worse heading into a holiday weekend, but I know that I can do it. I just need to remain focused.

Anyway, I knew last night that things weren't looking good on the scale so I made Scott and I grilled chicken salads. This will probably be a staple in our house for most of the summer, which is fine because I love them and so does Scott.

After dinner, Scott surprised me, we needed to go to Target for formula, and he kept saying he was taking Joey with him, I was in the nursery changing Leah and when I came out, he was gone, and so were Joey AND Tyler! The next closest thing to being alone in our house is being home with Leah. She is so sweet and easy to take care of. I fed her a bottle and she fell asleep. I put her in the bassinet. Then I proceeded to clean the kitchen top to bottom and fold and put away laundry. Then I picked up the toys, and started to vacuum, I was about halfway through, when I noticed her squirming. She was up, so, I stopped cleaning and picked her up. She and I do not get enough time together. It is really a shame. We hung out on the couch. She has mastered smiling and does it often. I love her so much.

Scott got home around 8:15 and told me that he went to the park. He is so adventurous. I sometimes wish I could be more like that. I would be so scared to take both boys to the park, worried that while one was headed down the slide the other would be headed for the street. I just get so nervous. He is such a good Dad. So, the boys got to play, I got to clean, and Leah and I got some one on one time. It was a great night all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment